Flat stomach tips!Jun 03, 2023
If you're new here, Hi! My name is Briana :)
I'm a certified personal trainer and mom of six with a body that has a history of gaining A LOT of weight in pregnancy and while breastfeeding!
A LOT... as in 60-80 pounds every gosh darn time!
I'm currently 2 years postpartum and I have been documenting my health journey step-by-step in a series called, "A Work In Progress."
I’m down 40 pounds, approximately half way to my goal, which you can learn more about HERE.
As I've done in every postpartum season over the last 10 years, I've been publicly documenting the process to restoring my health so that people could see my body change in real time.
As you can imagine, there are always a lot of questions.
Hands down, the number one question I'm asked is how I’m losing so much weight in my stomach.
I know there is a lot of confusion and gimmicks out there, so here are some “Flat Stomach Truths” from this mom of six…
1. When it comes to appearance, the less body fat you have, the more muscle will show.
2. One pound of fat and one pound of muscle weigh exactly the same (one pound). However, one pound of muscle is MORE DENSE and does not occupy to same amount of space as one pound of fat. *Cue my plastic bag analogy*
3. When it comes to appearance, your body composition (lean muscle vs fat = looking toned) vs. your “scale weight” (relationship with gravity = looking “smaller”) are two different things!
4. You could have two people who are identical in height and scale weight, but they will NOT look the same if they have different lean mass weight (muscle)… STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS.
5. You can NOT “spot reduce” or get rid of fat cells from a specific area (liposuction is the only way to remove them)… you can only shrink them through nutrition and lifestyle.
6. Genetics play the largest factor in determining where your body accumulates fat cells. Total fat heritability (where your body fat is distributed) is estimated to be between 83% and 86%… however diet & lifestyle are the biggest factors in determining how much you store!
7. There are a lot of factors that affect skin elasticity! Age and genetics are the two biggest factors, followed by how “stretched out” an area has been… and for how long!
8. The appearance of your stomach will change when you decrease inflammation and body fat.
9. The appearance of your skin will ALSO change when you decrease inflammation and body fat. The amount of skin you have will never be "less" than you have now (unless you have a tummy tuck). However the thickness of the skin and the amount of "hang" will change when you change the density!
10. Having a “flat stomach” does not make you healthier, or more beautiful than someone with rolls. Health is determined by lifestyle (not appearance), and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder!
Inspired? Want to learn more about how I can help YOU achieve your goals?
You can learn more about becoming a member of the BBM Community here: www.BikiniBodyMommy.com/join